Schools transport overview
Mainstream and Special Education Needs transport are a huge cost to UK Government and Local authorities.
Periodically, the transport provision needs to be completely reviewed. Schools transport needs to be re-allocated each year as new pupils join, others leave and many move house or school. This is a complex and lengthy manual task, often resulting in reviews being carried out too infrequently. Some authorities may review their schools contracts on a rolling basis, perhaps a quarter of the schools every four years.
Not reviewing the mainstream schools or Special Education Needs transport regularly results in pupils being ‘shoe-horned’ into existing contracts, and mopping up the residue with a high cost alternative such as taxis. The result is a gradual degradation in the efficiency of the contracts, and an associated increase in their cost.
With broad experience in these areas and related technologies and particular knowledge of transport issues in the UK and mainland Europe, Mobisoft has supported planners and operators for over a decade, developing systems to improve efficiency, drive down costs, and offer new types of flexible transport.
A fusion of modern technologies such as Geographical Information Systems (GIS), high speed computers, automatic routing algorithms and networked communications enables the MTC suite to provide all of the tools needed to manage and plan schools transport for Mainstream or Special Education Needs.
MTC makes effective use of detailed GIS data to optimise networks and display results:
- Eligibility and calculation of nearest stop for individuals or large batches
- Automated GIS-based routing
- GIS Map-based view of pupils, schools and routes
- Ticket/pass management
- Automatic allocation and re-optimisation of existing schools transport contracts
- Capture weekly, term based or ad-hoc travel requirements
- Allocate batches of pupils or individuals to public bus services or existing school routes within seconds
- Evaluate suggested routes withe aid of the digital map
- Automatically create optimised routes to one or more schools based on the road network, using any combination of vehicle size and capacity
- Optimise Stop-to-School or Home-to-School
- Automatically generate information for drivers and for issuing tenders
When considering Special Education Needs, MTC will closely match passenger requirements to fleet capacity and capability, providing information for drivers and promoting improved awareness of SEN requirements. Efficiency will benefit from real-time routing of individual or ad-hoc bookings and pre-optimisation for large numbers of passengers.